Friday, November 19, 2010

Walking in the Rain: Waiting for His purpose

“For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven” (Ecc.3:1)


It was a cool autumn morning, I wanted to crawl back in bed and go to sleep. I had so much to do, but felt so blah. No amount of coffee could pull me out of these blues. I needed sunlight! It had been raining for days. Much like my life at the time, I craved a silver lining, but all I received was the cold, dark, stormy days and nights. It seemed almost ironic; the weather symbolizing my life.

As I stepped out to face the day, I began to equate this with our Spiritual journey. Oh, how we bask in the sunshine and dance in the cool breeze of the days when life is good! It’s not hard to find solace when our dreams are realized; but in the garden of life, sometimes the clouds hang low and the rain must fall.

I’m reminded of that seed planted deep within the dark, moist, soil. Hidden away from the sun's rays, fighting for life, the seed is watered and begins to grow. It brings forth life in the darkness and presses forward endlessly until it breaks through to the sun. Like the flower, God knows how much rain it takes to sustain us. It’s in those dark lonely hours we give birth to the dreams He places within us. He gives us the strength to endure the pressures all around us as we press toward His light.

With tears streaming down my face, I closed my umbrella and looked to the sky. My whole perspective had changed! No longer was I focused on all the hindrances of the rain, but on its benefits. No longer was I drawn aside by its distractions, but attracted to its rewards.

This Holiday Season, don’t be swept away by the hustle and bustle of life. Stop and take a moment to reflect on the goodness of the Lord, giving thanks for the seasons of laughter and the seasons of tears knowing that He loves you and believes in you. He’s created you with a special purpose that no one else can fulfill. So trust Him and enjoy the sunshine or a walk in the rain, as He plants His purpose in you.

Band press kits Quantcast