Thursday, May 7, 2009

Change

"When you consider how hard it is to change

yourself and your own ways,

think how nearly impossible it is

to change others."

- "I'm More Than A Pastor's Wife" by: Lorna Dobson

Today as I was reading, "I'm More Than A Pastor's Wife" by Lorna Dobson, I came across this profound quote. There's much to be said on the subject. As anyone can attest, change is never easy. At the forefront of change you'll find struggle, rejection, closed ears and big mouths. Let's be real here. Change calls for... well... change.

When we’ve come to the realization that we have to lay across the bed to zip our favorite pair of jeans (ladies) or that we can no longer see our belt (men) we come face to face with the reality that something needs to change. Oh yeah, it hurts our feelings when we have to pass up that nice, delicious, cream-filled donut or just say no to another helping of that delicious ALL YOU CAN EAT dinner buffet, but when that belly and those hips begin to shrink, you start dancing and singing praises. Don’t tell me you don’t! So we agree, change is not easy, but oh so worth it! So then why is it so hard? Here’s why! As a general rule, we do not like to deny ourselves. We want what we want, when we want it. We’re, by nature, selfish people… generally. It’s a lot easier for us to point out the faults of others and glorify ourselves; however, when we do this, we’re only deceiving ourselves.

As I read the quote above, I had many thoughts. I know once I have my mind set on something I’m not easily persuaded or convinced otherwise. Just ask my husband. I’m a deep, analytical thinker… known to be over analytical at times. It takes a lot to make me believe something and once I believe something to be truth, it takes God to change my perspective or my take on the subject. Argue, make threats, fuss, pout and whatever else, but you’re only wasting your time. I’m stubborn. I like it! I’m not gullible or easily swayed. I listen to all sides but in the end I make up my own mind with much prayer and after looking to the Word… but guess what. I’ve been wrong! Yeah. I’ll admit it. I’ve been wrong about lots of things in my life that I believed to be God’s truth. It took time, study and a lot of time with God to convince me I was wrong, but nevertheless, I was wrong. So, if it took so long or so much to change me, how can I begin to expect changing others to be some how be easy.

Change can be scary. So does that mean we should forget change? NO! Take it slow? Yes and No. It depends on the seriousness of the situation. If you’re experiencing symptoms of a heart attack and you’re rushed to the hospital only to find that you indeed have blockages, a change is eminent. There’s no time to waste. Something needs to be done or you’ll die. The problem won’t go away until something gets done. But if you visit the doctor for a regular scheduled check-up and they tell you your triglycerides are high, they’ll more than likely suggest a diet change, possibly even some medicine. This would be considered slow change. Evaluate the seriousness of your situation and with much prayer determine the steps you need to take. Through it all keep this in mind. When dealing with others whom the changes will affect, be understanding of what’s running through their mind. Try to encourage, inform and uplift them, but where change is needed, change must come. You’ll battle resistance and feel misunderstood, but rest assured, you must press forward toward the prize.

Trust God to lead the way!


Band press kits Quantcast